Come join the good fight in fighting a culture of watching cooking shows while not knowing how to properly roast your vegetables, of being obsessed with MasterChef but not keeping fresh garlic in your arsenal.
The science behind cooking always fascinated me (shout out to Alton Brown). I think that’s what really kick started my love for cooking. But recently, I’ve started to see the trend of snackable cooking videos on Facebook I was confronted with the sad, sad, sad reality that some people need a video to make a tomato avocado salad (seriously this is a real one…).
That being said, not snackable content provider and professional chef on YouTube’s Hot Thai Kitchen inspired me to share with you that it’s really not hard to make some foreign goods. It’s all about having the ingredients to make it.
- 1 small kabocha squash
- 1 can of coconut milk
- 1 quart of chicken broth
- Protein of your choice
- Other vegetables of your choice
- 4 tablespoons of curry paste
- 1/4 cup fish sauce*
- 1/8 cup brown sugar
- Get your favorite stock pot and pour a quarter of your coconut milk in there. Let it boil and simmer until you start to see it thicken up or separate
- Add your curry paste and stir until incorporated. You’ll start to see some oil separating – totally normal.
- Once your curry paste and coconut milk are all incorporated, you can add your protein of your choice (chicken breast or tofu however, should wait until the end)
- Cook protein through and add the rest of your coconut milk and chicken stock. Stir until incorporated
- Slowly add your fish sauce and taste as you go – it’s salty!
- Add your brown sugar
- Stir until incorporated and bring to a boil then a low simmer
- Add vegetables and squash and simmer until squash is soft (this is where you would add your chicken breast of tofu as well)
*If you’re going vegan, feel free to use soy sauce in stead of fish sauce!
I always eat this over rice so I try and over season it a little bit. However if you’re eating it alone, feel free to season as you’re used to. Hope you enjoy!